Wing IDE 5.0.1 Released: December 9, 2013
Wing IDE is a cross-platform Python IDE that provides a professional code editor with vi, emacs, and other key bindings, auto-editing, auto-completion, call tips, refactoring, a powerful graphical debugger, version control, unit testing, search, and many other features.
This minor release contains the following fixes:
- Support for Python 3.4beta1+
- Fix file type registration on OS X
- Fix potential segfault after using tab to move from field to field
- Fix creating and renaming snippets and snippets tool drop down menu
- Fix exception when closing windows and failure to quit on win32
- Optimize message tool, which could substantially slow down the IDE
- Fix problems setting custom colors via the Editor -> Syntax Coloring preferences
- Updates and corrections in French localization (thanks to Jean Sanchez)
- Fix intermittant failure to include all selected files in a version control operation
- Fix switching to alphabetizing file tabs and keeping active tab visible when there are 2+ splits
- 21 other bug fixes; see the change log for details
What's New in Wing 5
- Now runs native on OS X
- Draggable tools and editors
- Configurable toolbar and editor & project context menus
- Optionally opens a different sets of files in each editor split
- Lockable editor splits
- Optional Python Turbo completion (context-appropriate completion on all non-symbol keys)
- Sharable color palettes and syntax highlighting configurations
- Auto-editing is on by default (except some operations that have a learning curve)
- Named file sets
- Sharable launch configurations
- Asynchronous I/O in Debug Probe and Python Shell
- Expanded and rewritten tutorial
- Preliminary support for Python 3.4
For more details, see What's New in Wing IDE 5.
About Wing IDE
Wing IDE is an integrated development environment designed specifically for the Python programming language. It provides powerful editing, testing, and debugging features that help reduce development and debugging time, cut down on coding errors, and make it easier to understand and navigate Python code. Wing IDE can be used to develop Python code for web, GUI, and embedded scripting applications.
Wing IDE is available in three product levels: Wing IDE Professional is the full-featured Python IDE, Wing IDE Personal offers a reduced feature set at a low price, and Wing IDE 101 is a free simplified version designed for teaching beginning programming courses with Python.
Version 5.0 of Wing IDE Professional includes the following major features:
- Native GUI on OS X, Windows, and Linux
- Professional quality code editor with vi, emacs, Visual Studio, Eclipse, and other keyboard personalities
- Code intelligence for Python: Auto-editing, auto-completion, call tips, find uses, goto-definition, error indicators, refactoring, smart indent and rewrapping, and source navigation
- Advanced multi-threaded debugger with graphical UI, command line interaction, conditional breakpoints, data value tooltips over code, watch tool, sharable launch configurations, named entry points, and externally launched and remote debugging
- Powerful search and replace options including keyboard driven and graphical UIs, multi-file, wild card, and regular expression search and replace
- Version control integration for Subversion, CVS, Bazaar, git, Mercurial, and Perforce
- Integrated unit testing with unittest, nose, and doctest frameworks
- Many other features including project manager, bookmarks, code snippets, diff/merge tool, integrated OS command invocation, indentation manager, PyLint integration, and perspectives
- Extremely configurable and may be extended with Python scripts
- Extensive product documentation, tutorial, and How-Tos for Django, Google App Engine, matplotlib, Plone, wxPython, PyQt, mod_wsgi, Autodesk Maya, blender, NUKE/NUKEX, and many other Python libraries and applications
- Django support: Debugs Django templates, provides project setup tools, and runs Django unit tests
Please refer to the feature list for a detailed listing of features by product level.
System requirements are Windows XP or later, OS X 10.6 or later, or a recent Linux system (either 32 or 64 bit). Wing IDE supports Python versions 2.5 through 3.4 and Stackless Python.
For more information, see the Wing IDE product overview.
Wing IDE Professional and Wing IDE Personal are commercial software and require a license to run. A free trial can be obtained directly from the product when launched.
Wing IDE Pro -- Full-featured product
Wing IDE Personal -- A simplified IDE
Wing IDE 101 -- For teaching with Python
Purchasing and Upgrading
Wing IDE Professional and Wing IDE Personal require the purchase of a license or upgrade of a Wing IDE 2.x, 3.x, or 4.x license.
Wing IDE 101 is free and does not require a license to run.