Wing IDE 4.1.5 Released: April 10, 2012
Wing IDE is a cross-platform Python IDE that provides a professional code editor with vi, emacs, and other key bindings, auto-editing, auto-completion, call tips, refactoring, a powerful graphical debugger, version control, unit testing, search, and many other features.
Changes in Version 4.1.5
- Fix debugger bug that prevented QThread instances from being created
- Mini-search works when cap-lock is on
- Don't assume extension modules in packages are all lower case on Windows
- Add analysis information for basestring builtin
- Improved support for string literals in auto completer
- Don't flash console window when showing file in explorer on Windows
- Added simple copy command for the pylint tool
- Run nose & doc tests even if sys.path is modified before test runner executes
- Don't raise window and grab focus when auto-showing the Debug I/O tool
- Turbo completion mode completes on = in conditionals after if, elif, while
- Include support for debug builds of Python 2.7 on Windows
- Renamed indent_new_commment_line to indent_new_comment_line and changed it to match comment prefix with prior line
See the change log for details.
New Features in Version 4
Version 4 adds the following new major features:
- Refactoring -- Rename and move symbols, extract to function or method, or introduce a new variable
- Find Uses -- Find all points of use of a symbol
- Diff/Merge -- Graphical file and repository comparison and merge
- Django Support -- Debug Django templates, run Django unit tests, and more
- matplotlib Support -- Maintains live-updating plots in shell and debugger
- Auto-editing -- Auto-enter closing characters, spacing, invocation args, and more
- Simplified Licensing -- Includes all OSes and adds Support+Upgrades subscriptions
About Wing IDE
Wing IDE is an integrated development environment designed specifically for the Python programming language. It provides powerful editing, testing, and debugging features that help reduce development and debugging time, cut down on coding errors, and make it easier to understand and navigate Python code. Wing IDE can be used to develop Python code for web, GUI, and embedded scripting applications.
Wing IDE is available in three product levels: Wing IDE Professional is the full-featured Python IDE, Wing IDE Personal offers a reduced feature set at a low price, and Wing IDE 101 is a free simplified version designed for teaching beginning programming courses with Python.
Version 4.1 of Wing IDE Professional includes the following major features:
- Professional quality code editor with vi, emacs, and other keyboard personalities
- Code intelligence for Python: Auto-editing, auto-completion, call tips, find uses, goto-definition, error indicators, refactoring, smart indent and rewrapping, and source navigation
- Advanced multi-threaded debugger with graphical UI, command line interaction, conditional breakpoints, data value tooltips over code, watch tool, and externally launched and remote debugging
- Powerful search and replace options including keyboard driven and graphical UIs, multi-file, wild card, and regular expression search and replace
- Version control integration for Subversion, CVS, Bazaar, git, Mercurial, and Perforce
- Integrated unit testing with unittest, nose, and doctest frameworks
- Django support: Debugs Django templates, provides project setup tools, and runs Django unit tests
- Many other features including project manager, bookmarks, code snippets, diff/merge tool, OS command integration, indentation manager, PyLint integration, and perspectives
- Extremely configurable and may be extended with Python scripts
- Extensive product documentation and How-Tos for Django, matplotlib, Plone, wxPython, PyQt, mod_wsgi, Autodesk Maya, and many other frameworks
Please refer to the feature list for a detailed listing of features by product level.
System requirements are Windows 2000 or later, OS X 10.3.9 or later (requires X11 Server), or a recent Linux system (either 32 or 64 bit). Wing IDE supports Python versions 2.0.x through 3.3.x and Stackless Python.
For more information, see the Wing IDE product overview.
Wing IDE Professional and Wing IDE Personal are commercial software and require a license to run. A free trial can be obtained directly from the product when launched.
Wing IDE Pro -- Full-featured product
Wing IDE Personal -- A simplified IDE
Wing IDE 101 -- For teaching with Python
Purchasing and Upgrading
Wing 4.1 requires an upgrade for Wing IDE 2.x and 3.x users at a cost of 1/2 the full product pricing.